The chickens are laying again! At least Dundren is. She is the sparkly black hen. We have received maybe 6 or 7 eggs from her so far. Our lovely ladies laid eggs all through the move, but molted once they got to the final destination of our new house. When chickens molt they lose many of their feather and their combs become dull pink and droopy. They need all of their energy for making new feathers and keeping warm, and so they don’t have any extra energy for creating eggs.
But the ladies are done molting now. The sun comes out to play more hours a day, and the air is warmer. So eggs are here again!
Also I finally started putting the front walls on the chicken coop. If I’m to get more chicks this spring, I must prove, to myself and to my husband, that I can care for our flock. Plus I just owe it to the ladies. They deserve a cozy home just like everyone else.
I had planned all along to use the wonderful saw horse work bench that my father got for me. I was going to use a circular saw to cut a piece of plywood that we have into two pieces to go on either side of the door on the coop. But finding the plywood, the circular saw, and the sawhorse would be project in itself at this point (oh moving…), not to mention finding someone to watch River while I set up the sawhorse and busted out the power tools.
So I was feeling paralyzed by all it would take to get it done, as well as a feeling a bit nervous about my novice carpentry skills. So when some smaller pieces of plywood showed up in our yard from my stepdaughter’s mother’s house, I knew just what to do.
I took those small pieces, along with my giant heavy hammer and big nails, and just nailed them up. I skipped the hard, scary part, and did it the easy, if not as pretty way.
Here is the first wall nailed on. Now the ladies have a cozy nesting box and hang out space in their coop.
Step by step. Step by step…